The NFL Draft is an interesting time. Sports fans everywhere become experts on college kids they’ve read about or seen a few times. Some base their entire opinion on a kid coming out of college because of how he looked at the combine or even because of that cool word “tangibles.” Whatever it may be, it’s supposed to be fun at the end of the day. The start of a career for a young athlete, hope for fans of downtrodden franchises or, building blocks for the continued success for others. Keep in mind, I never claim to be a draft expert, but today I will claim to be just that. Deal with it. Here is how the first round will shake up.
1. Cleveland Browns – will trade this pick to the Jets – Jets select Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC – good luck, Mitchell
2 . San Francisco 49ers – Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson – after all their posturing – this was the guy they wanted, not Trubisky
3. Chicago Bears – Jamal Adams, S, LSU – they won’t do this, because this is who I think is the best player in this draft and the Bears love to make me miserable. Let me dream though. . . please?
4. Jacksonville Jaguars – Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU – This is pretty much the last stand for quarterback Blake Bortles – they will continue to give him weapons – up to him to do something with them.
6. New York Jets traded pick to Browns, Browns select – Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama. Good luck, John.
7. Los Angeles Chargers – Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State – ugh, how many editors are going to not correct sports-writers who say L.A. Clippers instead of L.A. Chargers this year? . . .
8. Carolina Panthers – Mike Williams, WR, Clemson – This team relies on Cam to do everything – but he has close to nothing to work with. This should help out.
9. Cincinnati Bengals – Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State – really nothing cute to say about the Bengals – they’ve gotta blow this team up, I think.
10. Buffalo Bills trade pick to Indianapolis Colts – Colts select O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama – Choosing to ignore their terrible defense they just load up on offense.
11. New Orleans Saints – John Ross, WR, Washington – replacing Brandin Cooks won’t be easy but – oh wait, they just did with this pick!
12. Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia) – Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech – I’m just putting this selection here because everyone else is.
13. Arizona Cardinals – Adoree’ Jackson, CB, USC – this could be a major pickup for a team that needs to become a contender again – secondary should be legit.
14. Philadelphia Eagles (from Minnesota) – Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee – Need pass rushers in this division.
15. Indianapolis Colts traded pick to Bills – Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan – Hopefully, he can avoid injury unlike Sammy Watkins and become a consistent, week to week threat for the Bills.
16. Baltimore Ravens – Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama – it’s boring, it’s typical, it’s Baltimore . . . Robinson will be a four time pro-bowler though.
17. Washington Redskins – Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State – keep adding good weapons around Cousins, so it’ll make his goodbye at the end of the season that much more painful.
18. Tennessee Titans – Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford – Good thing this is a mock-draft because the Titans are the best team in the league after this draft!
19. Tampa Bay Bucs – Marcus Williams, S, Utah – just makes sense for a team moving in the right direction
20. Denver Broncos – David Njoku, TE, Miami – Denver is just stuck right now. Probably drafting two more QB’s in later rounds
21. Detroit Lions – Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford – great versatile weapon for a team that lacked consistency in the back field last year
22. Miami Dolphins – Haason Reddick, LB, Temple – Dolphins fans attacked me a lot on twitter last year. I still don’t get it. But whatever, I hope you guys win 5 games this year.
23. New York Giants – Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconin – He’ll be the best offensive lineman on this team as soon as he’s drafted. Hope they win fewer games than the Dolphins though.
24. Oakland Raiders – Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt – This falls into their lap and it’s exactly what they need at the moment.
25. Houston Texans – DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame – Houston pulls the trigger that Denver wouldn’t and draft Kizer. Immediately regret this decision though by week three. Kizer is out of the league in 4 years.
26. Seattle Seahawks – Ethan Pocic, G, LSU – Time to protect Wilson, and time to start running the ball more. Pocic is a quiet late first round steal.
27. Kansas City Chiefs – Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma – Chiefs are willing to take a gamble on him.
28. Dallas Cowboys – Jabrill Peppers, ??, Michigan – Cowboys are willing to take a chance on Peppers. They don’t even know what substances he used. They don’t even know what position he plays. But it’s cool. . .
29. Green Bay Packers – T.J. Watt, LB, Wisconsin – home town product stays put
30. Pittsburgh Steelers – Marlon Humphrey, CB. Alabama – quiet as kept, Pittsburgh’s draft position doesn’t really show how adequate they are. This is a great pick for them if he’s around though.
31. Atlanta Falcons – Takkarist McKinley, LB, UCLA – The Falcons blew a 28-3 lead.